Praise for My Books


"Manreet Sodhi Someshwar is a gifted writer of great promise. I have a gut feeling we have a new star rising in Punjab's literary horizon. She has an excellent command of English and a sly sense of humour."
- Khushwant Singh on The Long Walk Home

"An enjoyable tale of a sassy girl's headlong race up the corporate ladder."
- India Today on Earning the Laundry Stripes


Wednesday 14 October 2009

Singapore Writers Festival, Oct 24 - Nov 1, 2009

The biennial Singapore Writers Festival is scheduled for Oct 24 - Nov 1, 2009, and yours truly is invited to participate in two events, Ahem! Now Singapore, as some of you might know, holds a special place in my heart, especially with regard to my second novel, The Long Walk Home. I started writing it in Singapore in 2002 (a result of residing on the 31st floor of a condo and my head, consequently, being perpetually in the clouds!). Over the seven years it took me to complete the book - we moved cities, our daughter came, I wrote umpteen drafts, sprouted several grey hairs - and dash it to the printer's for its release at the London Book fair 2009, the Lion city continued to hold its mentoring sway. The National Arts Council Singapore was a proud sonsor of the book's launch at LBF. And now, it makes me incredibly happy to be given a chance to showcase the book at this year's Singapore Writers Festival. What better way to close the loop? So Singapore, here I come! If you are in town, or happen to be passing through, do drop in to attend one of the many exciting events being hosted, many of which are free. Mark your calendars, and spread the good word :-)
I am uploading the event details in two posts to follow - in the meantime, here's a quick recap:
- 29 Oct 2009, Writing Historical Fiction
In which I am conducting a workshop on how to write historical fiction. I can only assume that after the success of my second novel, The Long Walk Home, that uses the canvas of 20th-century Punjab as a backdrop, the organizers assume I know something of writing fiction that entails time travel :-) When I started writing the book, I was also teaching myself the craft of writing fiction - it sure is surprising to have come to a point where I am regarded as capable of teaching the craft! As Orhan Pamuk said, as a writer you simply write and then leave it to the readers and critics to tell you how well you have done what they think you have done!
- 31 Oct 2009, Migration and Displacement: New Indian Writing
This is a panel discussion featuring three Indian writers, moderated by Meira Chand and, once again, for me, highly serendipitious! Meira was the only writer I was aware of in Singapore when I started writing short stories and on a whim I emailed her a story requesting for feedback! Yessiree, that was audacious of me, but wonders never cease for Meira was gracious enough to respond with some very constructive advise. Of course, we ended up having coffee and have stayed in touch, on-off, but imagine my delight when the festival people informed me that Meira would be on the panel! Swarnadip - the golden island - serendipity: an accidental discovery of something fortunate, especially when seeking something unrelated.
May wonders never cease :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment